September 22, 2014

Kodo: Incense benifits and how to enjoy with your tea

kodo incense benefits and how to enjoy with tea crystals buddha meditation spirituality chaxi global tea hut chado sado japan japanese ceremony

Incense has been a long tradition for many cultures even Japan, where there is a ceremony just for it. For years now incense has been part my meditation time. It was such a blessing to learn about the ceremony that Japan had. Kodo developed slowly after incense was introduced in 538 ad.
   It came over from china and caught on quickly. Over time it was used to scent hair, kimono and even became part of Sado (Japanese Tea Ceremony). It is no surprise that this became its own little ceremony itself.  While I don't have the equipment (yet) for Kodo, lets look at the virtues, or as I call benefits, of incense. 

10 Virtues of Incense

1. Provides a transcendent sense of the exquisite
2. Purges your heart and body
3. Cleanses the unclean
4. Removes sleepiness
5. Mitigates loneliness
6. Comforts you in a busy time
7. Is never obstructive, even in abundance
8. Ample aroma from tiny quantities
9. Will not decay for a long time
10. Harmless even if used every day
    (From the Kyoto Project)


kodo incense benefits and how to enjoy with tea crystals buddha meditation spirituality chaxi global tea hut chado sado japan japanese ceremony chawan chasen

   If you are like me, there are times when you want to take your  tea to a  new level or create a new experience.  Today I created a simple chaxi (tea stage) with crystals, a mini bronze Buddha,  my tools tools for matcha and my incense burner.

   With it burning, I look a few moments to meditate before making my tea. I have mentioned this before but the moment you take time to clear your mind before tea, you will have a much more enjoyable time during the brewing process.
    Try this out before brewing your next cup. Simply create a little "stage" for your tea moment with your incense and see how you feel when you do brew. The change is worth it.

   Today's incense was sent to me by a reader,  KingKoh. Thank you so much for our long talks about tea and helping me further my tea experience. The incense I used was "Sei Fu" by Shoyeido.

Do you burn incense before. during or after brewing your tea?
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Tea Journey - Living beyond your cup | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig