April 18, 2011

Afternoon Tea



Afternoon tea was first created as a social gathering for Ladies of the English court. Now it is almost non existent except as a kind of performance for those who attend. Mothers take their children for their birthdays and are loud, all to slowly teach them manners.
Around when I was 8-10ish area there was a small afternoon tea house down a side street. I remember my mom being very strict on noise level (the shop was always full of older women, we had to make her look good :D )and follow some rules for the table.

Rule 1: No eating with your mouth open (although my brother and I were taught not to do this at all since we could understand what "No" and "Don't do that" meant).
Rule2: No elbows on the table ( we were still little so we got away with it a few times)
Rule 3: Try everything at least once ( I was very picky as a child, I refused to have cucumber and cream cheese wedges till present day. Though I absolutely loved smoked salmon and cream cheese. Odd isn't it?)
Rule 4: If something was too far from reach, ask someone closer to get it for you. (Clotted cream was in the dead center every time, I was quite small for my age and could not reach it)
Rule 5: Always say thank you to the server. ( The owner was lovely, always making fresh scones throughout the day)
Rule 6: If mom took you to the shop when you are "sick" or after a appointment of some kind, don't interrupt mom while she is talking to the owner (or anyone else)
Rule 7: Napkin on your lap as soon as you sit down.
Rule 8: Don't play with your food ( I think by going here my brother and I finally took this to heart)
Rule 9: Don't talk about inappropriate things at the table (remember age here~)
Rule 10: Always ask to be excused when leaving the table.

That little tea shop is long gone, sadly. Though a new one has popped up, Lauriam Tea House. For Mother's Day I am hoping to take my Mom and possibly my Oma for their Afternoon Tea. I am excited to be able to recall the last outing with my Grandmother all those years ago before she passed away. It is certainly a main reason for me adoring tea so much.
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Tea Journey - Living beyond your cup | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig